Earl of March Secondary School aims to provide all students with equal opportunity for success. Students who have been designated as having special education needs will have the opportunity to receive assistance from the Special Education Department. An Individual Education Plan (I.E.P.) will be developed and maintained for those identified students. The curriculum expectations for students with IEPs will be accommodated to provide assistance to help students achieve their potential.
The Learning Support Team will provide program support to promote the overall success of the exceptional student in the regular classroom in a secondary school setting. This support includes support for students with organization skills, solving skills and self advocacy skills.
There are 2 different ways to receive this support.
- Some IEP students select the learning strategies course to build on these skills and may get up to 2 different credits in learning strategies to count towards their OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma). Many elect to take one in grade nine and another in grade ten if they need intensive support. Students receive daily instruction and support through this period.
- If a student is not taking a resource period, they are always welcome to visit their learning support teacher. The resource room is available all periods of the day to allow for assessment accommodations (extra time, alternate location, computer use, oral responses) and in class support.
The Learning Support Team includes:
- Mary Saunders, Head of Special Education, Learning Support Teacher for grades nine and ten
- Alex Massett, Learning Support Teacher for grades eleven and twelve
- Dave Coates and Kyler Buck, Learning Support Teachers
- Debbie Paterson and Trevor Steynor, Educational Assistants who support students in the regular class environment
Learning Support Teachers develop IEPs and monitor the progress of IEPd students. They are a resource to teaching staff in creating specific strategies to support student learning. Students tend to visit their learning support teacher at busy points in the semester.
- Parent/Student Resources.pdf
- Learning Strategies: course description and expectations.pdf
- Tips for writing exams and tests.pdf